Home Carbon Monoxide Detectors - A Life-Saving Device
you need a Carbon Monoxide Detector in your home? The answer is a definite YES! Carbon Monoxide is a silent killer. Carbon monoxide is the number one cause of poisoning deaths in Canada. Without the sound of the detector’s alarm going off, your family will never know that this gas has taken over your home. Entire families are killed this way every year. Do not let your family be one of them!
Carbon Monoxide is a gas that is odourless and colourless. This lethal gas can build up in your home without you ever knowing it. Exposure to low concentrations of carbon monoxide over several hours can be as dangerous as exposure to a high level for a few minutes. Your detector should be able to detect both conditions.
The symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure are as follows: headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, sleepiness, confusion, blurred vision, chest tightness, shortness of breath, loss of muscle control and finally loss of consciousness. Carbon monoxide poisoning has sometimes been confused with flu-like symptoms. Make sure that all family members are aware of these symptoms in your home. Your family should be reminded of these symptoms when they are sleeping away from home.
Some common sources of carbon monoxide are; fireplaces, oil and gas furnaces, motor vehicles, space heater, generators, stoves, gas water heaters and dryers with clogged ductwork. Be sure to have your heating system, water heater and all oil or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year. Never use generators, charcoal grills, camp stoves or any other gasoline or charcoal burning device inside your home. Make sure that you do not run a truck or car inside a garage attached to your home.